OEATA Professional Development Announcement ~ September 2017
In support of its members, and interested non-members, OEATA is offering three workshops over 2017-18. FREE for OEATA members and a low $25 fee for non-members. We are pleased to have Maggie DIStasi presenting the first workshop – Please hold the date!
How to Start and Grow a Thriving Expressive Arts Therapy Practice
Date: Thursday, September 21, 6-9pm
Location: The Quaker House, 60 Lowther Ave, Toronto (St George Subway)
Description: In this workshop, we’ll explore practical considerations and philosophical approaches to starting and growing an Expressive Arts Therapy practice. We’ll look at contributing factors which can allow you and your business to function and thrive well.
Maggie DiStasi, ACPC, PCC Career Transition & Leadership
*Important Notice about the definition and time-lines for CRPO approved Clinical Supervison
As of April 1st 2016, a clinical supervisor must be a member of the other Professional Colleges who may practice psychotherapy (*College of Nurses of Ontario; College of Occupational Therapists of Ontario; College of Physicians and Surgeons of Ontario; College of Psychologists of Ontario; College of Registered Psychotherapists of Ontario; Ontario College of Social Workers and Social Service Workers).
*Supervision hours you have recieved after April 1, 2016 must have been with a CRPO or other approved College member in order to count as clinical supervision for your CRPO registration…
As of April 1, 2018 CRPO will phase in new requirements for qualifying as a clinical supervisor. Specifically, clinical supervisors will need to demonstrate competence in providing clinical supervision. Please see the full details below…
From the CRPO September 12, 2016 Comunique:
- The supervisor must be a Member in good standing of a regulatory college whose members may practise psychotherapy.*
- The supervisor must have five years’ extensive clinical experience.
- The supervisor must meet CRPO’s “independent practice” requirement (completion of 1000 direct client contact hours and 150 hours of clinical supervision).
- The supervisor must have completed 30 hours of directed learning in providing clinical supervision. Directed learning can include course work, supervised practice as a clinical supervisor, individual/peer/group learning, and independent study that includes structured readings.
- The supervisor must provide a signed declaration that they understand CRPO’s definitions of clinical supervision, clinical supervisor, and the scope of practice of psychotherapy.
The OEATA November 2016 AGM REPORT
Thank you for attending!
Including the new
OEATA 3rd AGM ~ Save the Date!
Monday, November 14th, 2016
All are welcome!
New: The First National Symposium for Dance and Well-Being: ‘Collaboratively Advancing Research and Practice’ is a two-day event presented by the National Centre for Dance Therapy (NCDT)
November 4 and 5, 2016, Toronto, ON
NEW ‘Current OEATA Members List’
& ‘Member Directory’!
New Program at U of T!
CRPO PROCLAMATION ANNOUNCED
April 1, 2015
However, the controlled act of psychotherapy has not been proclaimed at this time. Please see the CRPO website for details.
January 27th CRPO Communique:
ATTENTION: All stakeholders:
Greetings and good wishes for 2015 from all of us to all of you! Below you will find news and updates on the following:
- Public consultation on transparency principles
- Important tips on completing your ‘Grandparenting” Application
- Info for Regular Route applicants
- Recognition of education & training programs
Last week CRPO met with staff from the Ministry of Health and Long-Term Care (MOHLTC) to discuss a proclamation date for thePsychotherapy Act, 2007 (now long overdue, we would agree!). We are pleased to report that our request for an April 1st, 2015 date was well received, and ministry staff indicated they will do all they can to make this happen. This is encouraging news, and we have every reason to believe the legislation will come into force this spring. That said, the ministry also stressed that nothing is definite until the date is officially announced. Given the need for some lead time to inform prospective members and other stakeholders about proclamation, we expect to know by the end of February whether April 1st is the date. Please stay tuned.
CRPO is seeking your feedback on Transparency Principles, which, if endorsed by Council in March, will guide future decision-making and practices of the new College. The principles are designed to support and enhance transparency regarding member information and the outcomes of College processes, particularly complaints and discipline matters. Click here to access the consultation materials. We look forward to receiving your comments!
Completing your ‘Grandparenting” Application (important tips)
- Note: There is no “deadline” for submitting your application. The Grandparenting window will be open for two years following proclamation, and applications are being processed in the order in which they are received. Keep in mind that you will not receive notification about the status of your application until after a proclamation date has been set. If you hear nothing, it means your application has not been completed as yet. This should not be cause for concern as we have a sizeable backlog. We ask for your patience – we’re getting faster and expect that by April 1st, we will have completed reviewing the majority of applications received to date. If, however, you have not yet submitted your application by now, it is unlikely to be processed by April 1st.
- Important: Once you’ve been notified that your application fee has been received by CRPO, you must submit your application – it does not happen automatically! After submitting your application, make sure the “Application Status” box on the first page of the Application says “Received”. If it says “Open” your application has not yet been submitted.
- If you are claiming personal psychotherapy as a learning activity related to the development of Safe and Effective Use of Self (SEUS), you must be prepared to provide the name of the therapist involved. Alternatively, other kinds of learning activities can be used to fulfill the requirement for SEUS learning. In addition, all SEUS activities must include adescription of the core SEUS learning for that activity; otherwise, those SEUS hours will not be counted for registration purposes.
Regular Route applicants
The transitional Council is now accepting applicants via the Regular Route (RR) to registration, i.e. not Grandparenting. All successful RR applicants will be registered initially in the Qualifying Category of membership, until such time as they have successfully completed all registration requirements and the registration exam. The exam will likely become available within three months following proclamation and will be open to Qualifying members who have completed all their education requirements. More information about the exam, known as the Canadian Professional Standard for Counselling and Psychotherapy (CPSCP): Entry to Practice Competency Assessment, is available at http://www.compassexams.ca/ . Also included are details about a Self-Assessment tool, designed to help individuals determine their readiness to take this professional assessment.
For full details about CRPO registration requirements and application process, go to our website at: www.crpo.ca and look for “Info for Applicants” on the home page. Also see our Registration Guide, andGuide to Completing Your Application for Registration on the “Resources” page.
Review & Recognition of education & training programs
Please be advised that CRPO staff cannot inform prospective members or students about the status of a program’s Application for Recognition. To receive updates, we suggest you contact the program directly.
College of Registered Psychotherapists of Ontario
163 Queen Street East, Toronto ON M5A 1S1
Other PAST events and OEATA News……
ANNUAL GENERAL MEETING
For all EXAT Stake Holders
Monday, November 10, 2014
6 – 8:30 pm
Toronto Royal Conservatory of Music
(Koerner Hall 3rd Level Lobby Balcony Conference Room)
273 Bloor St. W.
416 408 0208
Guest Paul Hancock from McFarlan Rowlands
will be present to answer your insurance questions!
We will also continue to answer your questions about the CRPO Regulation…
Become a member between now and Nov.10 and you will be up to date until Jan.31, 2016!
Join an OEATA Committee and earn Currency hours for your registration with the College of Registered Psychotherapists of Ontario!
Ways to connect:
Subscribe to the OEATA website here! http://oeata.ca/
We are working on a Newsletter so send us your news. 🙂
Posting photos of events and information. Join us here:
Face Book Page for the Ontario Expressive Arts Therapy Association <https://www.facebook.com/oeata>
Join the conversation…:
OEATA Face Book Group <https://www.facebook.com/groups/128380693886713/>