1) Q: Am I eligible for liability insurance coverage through OEATA?

A: Yes, depending on your training. OEATA members in good-standing who are professional Expressive Arts Therapists trained in an OEATA recognized program (that leads to qualification in the College of Registered Psychotherapists) or professional arts based practitioners (ie. art, dance, music, drama therapists with similarly recognized credentials) can apply for professional liability insurance through McFarlans Rolands. For details see the Insurance section.

2) Q: I am in the process of organizing my membership application package and want to clarify which category I fit in. I am presently on leave, returning to work in September of this year. Do I apply as an inactive member and then notify you when I return to work? Do I then pay another fee to become an active member? Thanks!

A: That’s right, Inactive works for now, then when you go back to work you can send the $45 difference for the Professional category.

3) Q: Does joining OEATA get me into the CRPO?

A: No it does not. You must apply to join the CRPO independently of OEATA.

4) Q: What is the difference between an Association, such as OEATA and the CRPO?

A: A professional association, such as OEATA, is an organization that can provide a range of professional, educational and practical support and advocacy for it’s members. A college, such as the CRPO, is a legal regulatory body whose interest is to regulate the ethical and practical conduct of it’s members in order to protect the public.

5) Q: Can I practice as an Expressive Arts Therapist without being a member of OEATA or the CRPO?

A: Once the proclamation of the ‘controlled act of psychotherapy’ takes place (anticipated sometime this year), you will need to be a member of the CRPO, either a RP or RP Qualifying, in order to legally practice as a psychotherapist in Ontario. Expressive Arts Therapy can be considered a particular type of psychotherapy as it overlaps with traditional forms and techniques of psychotherapy and is likely to be considered a part of the “controlled act of psychotherapy” defined as : to treat, by means of psychotherapy technique delivered through a therapeutic relationship, an individual’s serious disorder of thought, cognition, mood, emotional regulation, perception or memory that may seriously impair the individual’s judgement, insight, behaviour, communication or social functioning.”

You do not need to be a member of OEATA, but you do need liability insurance; OEATA professional members are able to apply for insurance – see 1st FAQ.

6) Q: I am a graduate of Ontario Expressive Arts postgraduate Certificate Program from Sandford Fleming College, Haliburton School of the Arts, please advise if this is an OEATA recognized institution thank you.

A: You will find the OEA/HSA training under Expressive Arts Training here:


OEATA has a category of membership called ‘Associate Expressive Arts Practitioner’ (AEAP) which means the graduate can perform ‘Expressive Arts’ with groups/individuals in the community and through agencies, but not practice the soon to be regulated act of psychotherapy. (There is a declaration form to be signed if you join OEATA as an AEAP stating you will not practice the controlled act of psychotherapy). So, if you have no psychotherapy training, AEAP would be the suitable membership category to choose.

The Haliburton training is not a psychotherapy training program. OEATA has made the AEAP category to support artists working in the community, so that they may acquire insurance. There are also many graduates from the CREATE Institute ( formerly ISIS Canada ) who do not wish to perform the ‘soon to be regulated act of psychotherapy’, so the AEAP category covers all Expressive Arts Practitioners for insurance viability which would include Arts Educators, Coaches, Consultants etc.

The CREATE Institute ( formerly ISIS Canada ) recognizes completion of the Fleming program with the wording, Arts Specialization as granted by Fleming College and offers a credit for 100 studio hours, approximately 1 year of studio time at ISIS Canada. 

If you intend to apply for registration as a Registered Psychotherapist with the new CRPO, the Haliburton School of the Arts training alone is not a psychotherapy training and would not provide credentials for successful application unless you attend the Haliburton training already equipped with a Masters in Social Work or Psychology, are a Registered Nurse, Occupational Therapist or Psychiatrist; in which case you would apply for insurance and psychotherapy registration through your disciplines’ college.

7) Q: I graduated from the CREATE Institute (formerly ISIS Canada) more than a year ago but do not have enough Direct Client Contact Hours to apply via the CRPO grandparenting route.  To apply as a regular applicant under the “Qualifying” category, the CRPO website states applicants must have graduated within the past year.  Do I apply under this category, or is there another route I should take?  Also, I was on maternity leave for a period of time since graduating.  Someone suggested to me that CRPO will make allowances for maternity leaves.  Do you know if this is the case?

A: You can apply via the regular route for the CRPO (with the option of switching to the grand parenting route if those requirements are completed by March 2017).

See the ‘or’ statements that follow in the requirement description for regular applicants:

Regular applicants must:

• have completed their education & training program in the 12 months immediately prior to application; or 

• be completing their education & training program after having substantially completed it; or  

• have completed their clinical experience requirement, i.e. Direct Client Contact and Clinical Supervision hours, in the 12 months immediately prior to application; or  

• have completed 750 Currency Hours within the three years immediately prior to application; or  

• complete upgrading activities acceptable by the Registration Committee.

The CRPO does offer some possible dispensations for maternity, bereavement or sick leave in relation to the required Currency Hours ( 500 instead of 750 hrs ) see below, from CRPO website:

“In exceptional circumstances, a panel of Registration Committee may consider an application from an individual who has completed 500 currency hours (a non-exemptible requirement) but lacks the full 750 currency hours (the remaining 250 currency hours may be exempted in exceptional circumstances). Applicants seeking special consideration will be asked to describe on the application form the exceptional circumstances in some detail. Exceptional circumstances may include, for example, extended illness or, compassionate/parental leave(s).”

Full CRPO registration guidelines are here:


8) Q: For a period of time my clinical supervision was provided by another EXAT. When I am naming my clinical supervisors on my application, should I name both of those supervisors and get letters of confirmation from each of them?  Or can I just name my regular clinical supervisor (and not her fill-in) and use one letter of confirmation?

A: You should name and list each supervisor you had for each period of Clinical Supervision you recieved.

From the CRPO Regular Route application guide:
A Confirmation Letter is the preferred type of documentation. Provide a letter from your Clinical Supervisor confirming Clinical Supervision received, including:
-The Clinical Supervisor’s qualifications and contact information;
-how the supervisor and supervisee became acquainted;
-if the period of Clinical Supervision refers to group supervision, include the number of supervisees in the group; and
-the number of Clinical Supervision hours provided and the date range over which the Clinical Supervision took place.

Attestation Letter
Provide an Attestation Letter only if a Confirmation Letter is not available. An Attestation Letter refers to a detailed letter from a relevant third party, e.g. senior colleague.
Note: In rare, exceptional circumstances only, if the above are unavailable, CRPO may accept alternate information or documentation. Upload to your application a detailed explanation of why the above are unavailable.

9) Q: When filling in information about Liability Insurance on the application, it asks for a Practice Site.  My policy with McFarlands Rowland does not name a practice site.  Is this something I should rectify?  I am presently only practicing within an agency who has their own insurance.  While I am covered under their insurance, I was advised to get my own, as well.  Should I provide information about the agency’s liability insurance on the application as well?

A: The insurance provided through McFarlands Rowland should cover your practice in all locations within the province (please double check with them). Please note McFarlands Rowland is the broker – check your policy to find the name of the company that is the insurance provider, it is different than the brokers name.

You would state the name and location of the agency where you see clients as your practice site, as you should be covered by you insurance policy there as well. However, it’s probably a good idea to also include the name of the insurance provider at the agency you practice at as well.
If in doubt ask your particular insurance broker for the details.

10) Q: I finished my Jurisprudence e-modual! Am I a Qualifying RP now?

A: No, the jurisprudence is only the first step to application.

Once it’s completed you then have access to the ‘actual application’, choosing either the ‘grandparenting’ or ‘regular route’ application category.

‘RP Qualifying’ status is only relevant to the ‘regular route’ application.

The minimum completed benchmarks to apply via the RR route and have ‘RP Qualifying’ status are: near completion of training (90% or more), 125 DCC hrs, 30 supervision hrs. (‘Qualifying RP’ does not apply to the grandparenting process which is a direct route to the full RP status and there is no title while you wait for the approval of your application, as far as I know. )

After submitting the fully completed RR application and it being approved as ‘complete’ by the CRPO, one then has a maximum of 2 years to finish any training, DCC or supervision hrs needed to be eligible to write the registration exam. During this ‘RP Qualifying’ period one may complete any outstanding requirements:

– any outstanding or CRPO recommended training
– any hrs to attain the benchmarks of 450 DCC and 100 supervision hrs required to be eligible to write the registration exam

After passing the registration exam, one then moves from Qualifying RP to the full RP status.

The most difficult part (aside from an exam?) of the RR route application is the ‘mapping tool’ for training/education.
The ‘mapping tool’ is a detailed process of accounting for how one’s ‘non-recognized’ training correlates to the 21 competencies required by the CRPO.
The CREATE Institute  is still not a ‘recognized’ program, although they have applied and are awaiting a response.
If they do become recognized it will be a quick checkmark on the application but until then it’s a much more detailed research and writing process for the applicant. However, reviewing and completing the ‘mapping tool’ for one’s RR application also has the potential benefit of helping to prepare for the registration exam; the exam is based on the competencies.

As for grandparenting: you either have the requirements to apply (800+ DCC, 750 currency, 30 hrs supervision) or not. If not, the CRPO recommends one applies via the RR route ASAP and ‘Qualify’ instead of waiting until one has completed the grandparenting requirements.

However, if you can complete the grandparenting requirements before March 31, 2017 you can apply via grandparenting by then. After that time only the RR will be available. BUT, if the controlled act of psychotherapy is proclaimed before then and one is not either an RP or RP Qualifying, one will need to cease all psychotherapy based practice – obviously this would be a problem if one has clients and suddenly needs to stop practicing.